Landlord fined £15k for gas safety failings

Gas stove

A landlord has been fined £15,290 and ordered to pay £2,500 costs for failing to maintain gas appliances at a domestic property in Pembrokeshire.

On a visit to the premises British Gas found the fire and boiler were ‘immediately dangerous’, prompting an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The HSE found that the landlord, Gous Ahmed, had failed to obtain a Landlord Gas Safety Record (LGSR), and he continued to do so despite warning letters and improvement enforcement action by the HSE. Mr Ahmed only obtained a LGSR when he was cautioned and invited for interview.

He pleaded guilty before a magistrates’ court to breaching regulation 36(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

HSE inspector Simon Breen said: “Mr Ahmed put the residents and other members of the public at risk of harm by failing to maintain gas appliances in the domestic property.

“Landlords and duty holders must ensure they obtain a Landlord Gas Safety Record and they maintain all gas appliances in accordance with the law.”

Solicitors for landlords in Eastbourne, Hailsham, Bexhill and Hastings

For expert legal advice on landlord and tenant matters, please email Daniela Catuara (Senior Associate Solicitor) or call her on 01323 435900. To learn about Daniela’s skills and experience please view her website profile.

Previous ArticleNext Article