Services for your industry
Legal advice for Sports Clubs
We understand that sports clubs come in all shapes and sizes and Gaby Hardwicke has a team of experienced lawyers who can assist clubs with specialist advice in respect of a wide range of legal matters. Sports clubs often need to comply with guidelines and regulations handed down by National Governing Bodies and, depending on the legal structure adopted, may also need to ensure compliance with the law specifically applicable to companies or charities.
Specialist solicitors for Sports Clubs and Recent Work
We work closely with directors, officers, committee members and those responsible for running and operating sports clubs to advise on corporate, commercial and property matters facing sports clubs. At Gaby Hardwicke, we appreciate that those tasked with the day to day running of clubs often do not have the time to devote to organisational and administrative matters. To that end, we have assisted clients, including athletics, football, golf, gymnastics and tennis clubs on matters including:
- Providing advice on the legal structure to be adopted by a sports club on formation or on the conversion or adoption of a new legal structure as the sports club grows and evolves, including structures such as companies limited by shares or by guarantee, charitable incorporated organisations (CIO’s) and community interest companies (CIC’s). As an example, our team of expert solicitors acted for the first football club in England to register as a community interest company which also involved liaising with the Football Association on amendments required to FA Rules.
- Assisting with applications for registration with HMRC as a Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC) and advising on and implementing the changes required to the sports club’s existing structure in order that a CASC application can be submitted (due to HMRC and CASC requirements);
- Advising on the liability of committee members of unincorporated sports clubs;
- Dealing with the transfer of assets between entities or on the conversion to or adoption of a new legal structure;
- Advising on and drafting updates to club rules, handbooks and constitutional documents;
- Assisting and advising on club restructures, including the formation of subsidiaries and parent companies in order to protect valuable assets for the benefit of the sports club and/or local community;
- Advising and assisting with changes to a club’s structure and/or constitutional documents in order to make them compliant with charitable status;
- Dealing with the granting or taking of a lease and dealing with property sales and acquisitions; and
- Reviewing, advising on and drafting a wide range of contracts including management agreements, collaboration agreements, joint-user agreements and terms and conditions.
Contact us with no obligation
We are happy to discuss any services that may be required by a sports club without obligation. Please call Dan Gorringe, a solicitor in our corporate and commercial team, on 01323 435900 or email .