Landlord sentenced and fined for unsafe gas work

Gas stove

A Devon landlord has been sentenced to nine months imprisonment suspended for 18 months, fined £3,000 and ordered to pay costs of over £12,000 for gas safety failings.

The landlord, Allan King, was warned by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in July 2016 that only members of the Gas Safety Register should work on gas appliances. Yet, in September 2016, Mr King replaced a boiler at his let property despite having no training in gas work.

A month later, Mr King called in a gas engineer after the boiler developed faults. Straight away, the engineer saw the boiler was risking the tenants’ lives and isolated it to make it safe.

After an HSE investigation, Mr King pleaded guilty to breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, SI 1998/2451, and the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

Solicitors for landlords in Eastbourne, Hailsham, Bexhill and Hastings

For expert legal advice on landlord and tenant matters, please email Daniela Catuara (Senior Associate Solicitor) or call her on 01323 435900. To learn about Daniela’s skills and experience please view her website profile.

You can find out more about landlords’ responsibility for gas safety on the HSE website.

Previous ArticleNext Article