My ex-partner is bombarding me with texts/WhatsApps

Please note that this News item is not maintained, and reflects the law as at the date of publication or update.

This type of behaviour is classed as harassment which is a form of domestic abuse. You can apply to the Family Court for a Non-Molestation Order (a protective injunction to stop this behaviour).

Such Orders are usually granted for a specific period of time, such as 12 months, but in some circumstances can be granted for an indefinite amount of time.

Breaching a Non-Molestation Order is a criminal offence which can result in the perpetrator being sentenced to a term of imprisonment and/or a fine.

With the vast array & ever-increasing types of modern technology that exist, sadly there are numerous ways in which people can suffer domestic abuse via technology. These include:

  • Constant unwanted communication via calls/text messages/emails/social media;
  • An ex-partner posting/threatening to post intimate photos &/or videos of the victim online;
  • Using gaming devices to contact the victim;
  • Hacking the victim’s emails/telephone;
  • Creating fake social media profiles to stalk/threaten/harass the victim.

Domestic Abuse Briefing Note.

Harassment is also a criminal offence meaning that the incidents can be reported to the police, and which will then be dealt with in the criminal legal system.

If you are concerned about the behaviour of your partner/former partner towards you and require advice, please contact Mrs Debra Frazer in our Hastings office.

Read what Debra’s clients clients say about her service:

Previous ArticleNext Article